Wednesday, July 30, 2008

29 Week Appointment & Glucose Test

Yesterday I had another doctor’s appointment. All was good. I had only gained one pound, so I was pretty proud of that. The baby’s heart rate was around 140 bpm, so he is still going strong! After leaving the doctor’s office I headed over to the hospital for my glucose test. This is to determine if I had developed Gestational Diabetes, which is a routine test now for anyone who is pregnant. I had walked in the hospital with mixed emotions; because of course you always hear the worst. The test consisted of drinking a bottle (a little larger than a can of soda) of a sugar substance that tasted like flat Sprite. I had 5 minutes to drink the whole thing, but I had the whole thing chugged in less than a minute. Then I had to wait around for an hour before they would draw my blood. So I sat in the waiting room and tried to entertain myself. I checked my blood pressure a couple of times on one of those machines where you stick your arm in the hole, I played Tetris on my cell phone, read some magazines and was ease-dropping on the old ladies at the receptionist desk. The time went by pretty fast. After my hour was up they called me back to draw my blood. It just took a couple of minutes and I was finally done.

I don’t know when I will hear the results. Cross your fingers that I don’t have gestational diabetes, because this girl LOVES sugar. And if I would have to restrict my sugar intake for the next couple of months, I am liable to flip out!

One thing that was neat to watch was my OB doctor in action. As I was sitting in the outpatient waiting room, I could look out the window to the parking lot. There is a sign on one of the parking spots that says, “OB On Call Parking Only.” When I had arrived, there was no one parked in this spot…meaning no babies were being born at that time. But as I was patiently waiting, I saw a van whipping into the spot and out jumped MY doctor (who I had just met with 20 minutes prior at my appointment). She came sprinting across the parking lot and into the door next to the maternity ward. It was exciting to see her in action, I can only imagine what kind of adrenaline rush that would be. And as I was leaving the hospital, she was walking out at the same time to go back to her office.

All in a hard day’s work!

No comments: