Friday, February 13, 2009

My Poor Baby is Sick!

Hunter has been battling a stuffy nose for over a week, that was until Monday. He suddenly developed a really bad cough, along with congestion and even began to wheeze. So on Tuesday I called the doctor and they told me to bring him up to the office because they wanted to check him out since he is only 4 months old. I was afraid we would go all the way there and then he would be all smiles and not even show a sign of hacking at all. Luckily he laid it all out for the doctor. He coughed non-stop, even thru in some sneezes all while wheezing every time he took a breath. His diagnoses = Bronchiolitis (RSV) AND croup!!!! WTF! Good thing I took him there when I did. So while we were at the doctor's office we gave him a breathing treatment to see if it helped with the wheezing (and it did) and then he was given a steroid shot for his heart and lungs so he doesn't go into respiratory distress...which is scary to think about. We were then sent home with a breathing machine of our own. We are to give him 4 treatments a day and to continue the humidifier and Vicks.

I stayed home with him on Wednesday. And let me tell you, he was really testing my patients. Nothing seemed to soothe him. He seemed most content when he was in his swing. So that is where he stayed and slept most of the day. Whatever works...right? That evening he began to run a fever. Nothing too high, so I have been giving him Tylenol to keep it down. This seems to work.
My mom watched him yesterday as well as today. And this morning he seems to be doing better and in a much better mood. Thank goodness. So hopefully he has turned a corner. It is hard when a baby is that young and sick because they can't tell you what is wrong and you are very limited on what you can do for them (as in medications).

I am off of work on Monday for Presidents day, so hopefully Hunter will be better and could return to daycare come Tuesday!

No comments: