Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tips and Advice Welcome...

Oh Hunter!!! My sweet little bull-headed Hunter!!!! Will NOT Poop in the toilet! I just can't wrap my head around it and it is about to drive me CRAZY! We have pretty much tried E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. He'll pee in the toilet like no ones business, but with poop he refuses!! He'll hide under the table, crawl under his bed or even hide in the closet to poop. So he knows what he is doing. I guess I just don't understand why? I know, I know...people tell me he'll do it when he is ready. But enough is enough, something has to give!

We try to make it very encouraging for him, not a scary but fun and exciting event. We've read books, provided privacy, offered bribes. Quit putting pull-ups on him because he seems to be more comfortable pooping in them. Anytime he poops in his pants, we dump out what we can into the toilet to emphasis that is where it belongs. I think some visual demonstration by Andy would be helpful...but Andy didn't like that idea. I've cruised the Internet for additional ideas. One new one I found (that I think I will try) is blowing bubbles while on the toilet. #1: Hunter LOVES bubbles and #2: you use your bottom muscles while blowing bubbles thus possibly causing him to poop? Talk about thinking outside the box!

Does anyone have any tips or ideas to help us across this bridge?

Wow, is this really what my blog has become of?

5 comments:

Dana said...

My boss' son wouldn't poop in the toilet until he was 5!!!! They had to put a pull up on him to get him to poop - she tried everything too!! He just started doing it one day...so I have no advice, but wanted to let you know that apparently it happens with other kids too....

CourtneySue15 said...

That would be so tough. I have no advice in the arena but the bubbles idea sounds great!

Sarah said...

The bubbles sound like a great idea!! Good luck!!

Megan said...

At least he is pooping! With Peyton we never did the "pull up stage" we just went straight to underwear, only b/c when you go from diaper to pull ups, then you have to transition from pull ups to underwear. So we just too 1 step out, Anyway, Peyton was like Hunter and had the peeing thing down great, but he would not poop AT ALL! I tried everything! He would hold it in; I even put a diaper on him and told him to poop. He took the diaper off and said “I am not a baby mom; I don't wear diapers" and threw the diaper in the trash. So being worried about him not pooping for 6 days at this point I called the DR and they said to give him and enema!! He hated THAT! We both did! Needless to say he pooped, A LOT! He did the same thing again the next three days, holding in his poop, this time I didn't wait 6 days. Needless to say after the seconded enema, he has pooped on the potty every day since!!!

Kelly said...

Megan - Hunter is doing the same thing with holding in his poop. But the longest he has gone has been two days but ends up pooping in his underwear. It usually happens when he sneaks away to hide somewhere or when he is outside playing. We tried pull-ups for a couple weeks and decided to just move on to underwear as well. I am just at a loss on what to do right now. Well Boys will be boys!