Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Busy Weekend Recap!

Thursday Evening: Andy and I went to the fair for him to pull his tractor. We got it all loaded and took it to the fair grounds for us to find out that he didn’t qualify to pull. Apparently there was a whole list of rules and regulations (that were not listed on the online list) that prevented Andy from pulling. So pretty well all the local people that brought out their tractors to pull “for fun,” weren’t allowed to even try. Oh well, it has just sparked a fire for people to bring back the tractor pull in Argyle. The festivities at the fair ended pretty early because of a huge thunderstorm that came thru at around. 9pm.

Friday Evening: We were out at the fair again. This was the night for the regular truck and tractor pull, and there seemed to be a huge crowd compared to the night before. It was great to see people I haven’t seen in a long time. I always go to the fair to socialize rather than pay attention to the trucks pulling the sled down the track. We didn’t make it home until after 1am and I still had to go to work that next/same morning. This was really late for a fat pregnant lady like myself who depends on her sleep. I am sure it would have ended earlier if there wasn’t a delay on starting the pull because of them repairing the track from the storm the night before. Why they (the fairboard) hadn’t taken care of it during the day was the question that was running thru everyone’s minds as we sat there for a couple hours watching them push the mud around.

Saturday: As I woke up after only a few hours of sleep, I looked down to find that I no longer had ankles. They had swelled to the point of being “cankles!” The late few nights of constant standing had officially caught up with me. I made my way to work where we finished our float for the parade. Have I mentioned the theme was “Git-R-Done” How stupid is that! Way to make Vienna/Maries County sound like a big redneck community. I think they should let the community vote on the theme, because the ones the fairboard had chosen the last couple of years have sucked! We closed the bank an hour early so we could head down town and watch the parade. It was the longest parade we have had in awhile, but it is a major election year so there were a lot of political advertisements.

After the parade, we headed to Andy’s uncle’s house in town for lunch. We all sat around in lawn chairs, stuffed our faces and chatted. Soon thereafter, we went down to my Uncle Larry’s lake house for another dinner. We were so full when we got there, that I just went straight for the dessert. At this point in the day, the swelling in my ankles had spread to my toes to where I was no longer able to bend them. So I told Andy to take me home. As soon as I walked in the door, I plopped on the couch and propped up my feet and took a much needed two hour nap! I woke up feeling refreshed, and while my ankles were still swollen, I was able to freely move my toes! Ah, the pleasures of being pregnant during the summer!!!!

That evening……Surprise……We went back to the fair for the last night. This was when the Demo Derby took place. There is nothing more exciting than watching a bunch of cars smash into each other for fun! The Derby ended pretty early, but we all stuck around for a little while to hang out.

Sunday: We headed down the Osage River. Since the water was really low, we didn’t have a float trip like usual. We all just hung out and ate some BBQ. Andy and I left from the river to go down to Argyle to play some volleyball. Well, Andy played and I was the “line judge.”

Monday (AKA Labor Day): I barely lifted a finger all day. I did some laundry and a few small chores, but other than that I took it easy and enjoyed the day off of work.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I completely agree about the theme of the fair. WTF.